Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Open Access Journals

Since using databases only accessible through the Pitt library website with services like connotea and zotero is turning out to be a headache, I've been exploring open access stuff to "trap." I've found more journals using this model than I expected, and I have just grazed the surface. The Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)has been my main portal so far.

I wonder in what ways the open access publishing community and the more traditional scholarly publishing community interact. Are there separate spheres developing, or are they intermingled? A quick search of the university catalog where I work told me that students using the journal finder will be directed to the DOAJ if they search for a specific journal within it. Of course most students start from a topic in something like PubMed, as opposed to starting from a journal title.

Anyway, it would be interesting to know what percentage of articles cited by students and professors are open access. I'm sure someone out there has answered this question, but for now I better get back to tagging.

No comments: