Friday, June 13, 2008

Where is the metadata?

Its been a week of minor annoyances that have been adding up, but the first came last weekend when I was finishing up a paper for class.

Library Journal prints its articles on its website, which is great, but it does not have metadata like volume, issue number, or page number immediately visible, just the date. I ended up having to log into the vpln at the pitt library system, search the library science databases for articles I already have, and find the bibliographic information I needed that way. Maybe I'm just ignorant of the specifics of electronic citation, but this seems silly. (This rather mild assessment of the situation is something I have arrived at after several days of distance, trust me.)

Is this a travesty, stripping an article of its metadata when it appears on the web? Or am I simply searching for the wrong type of data? This seems to me like leaving the house without your cell phone (something I also did this week.) You are out there, and you may have important things to tell someone, but no one can find you. Or maybe this is like when people ask me why I don't have a land line number and I give them a crazy look. Why would I need one, I have a cell phone?

No comments: